Thursday, April 25, 2024

4/24/24

Tinted Windows- S/T
(I didn't think this record was anything special when it first came out, but people seemed to love it. Now, all these years later, it gets a vinyl release for Record Store Day, so I decided to go in again. It still leaves me cold. Third rate Fountains Of Wayne. What am I missing?)



 

Electrafixion- Burned
(Another RSD release that I had totally forgotten about. Can't say I remembered anything about this album when I put it on, but I really enjoyed it. Great stuff. Like Echo & The Bunnymen with bigger balls.)



Pearl Jam- Dark Matter
(Still loving this.)

The Candy Butchers- Play With Your Head
(Revisiting, since I don't recall liking this record. I still think it's quite dull for the great Mike Viola.)

Adrian Belew- Here
(One of his best.)


 

 

V/A- Darker Than Blue: Soul From Jamdown, 1973-1980
(One of the greatest comps of all time, reggae covers of soul hits. Every track a winner.)


 

 

Julie Driscoll- 1969
(If you've never heard this record, it's time. Very special.)



Bash & Pop- Friday Night Is Killing Me
(Giving this a farewell spin. Sold it this week. I know it's not the 'Mats but it is still in my Top 5 'Mats albums.)



Roxy Music- Stranded
(Still in Roxy mode, I guess. This. My third fave Roxy album. Very, VERY underrated.)


 

V/A- Licensed To SKA: Studio One 007
(Hitting a lot of my faves today. Another brilliant collection, especially if you're a James Bond fan.)





4 comments:

hpunch said...

Adrian Belew-Here Classic., Love it.
Tinted Windows- I never got either.

Anonymous said...

I see we are thinking a bit alike: I played a new (digital only?) set, Roland Alphonso - Dreamland (The Beverley's Singles 1966-1968). It's excellent, but maybe a repeat of something compiled elsewhere.

I like Stranded almost as much as For Your Pleasure, Siren, and Country Life.

Tinted Windows: sounds like brick-wall mastering. Those always wear me out.

- Paul in DK

Michael Giltz said...

How spoiled I am. Annoyed I can't immediately call up the Darker Than Blue comp OR Licensed to Ska Studio One 007!

Anonymous said...

Stranded is a perfect album. Eno has said it’s his favorite Roxy album.
‘Mother of Pearl’ - mic drop!

My favorite Roxy album is the one I’m listening to at any moment. I make no apologies for any of their albums.

5/3/24

Society Of Rockets- Tough Trip Through Paradise The Cynz- Little Miss Lost Marshall Crenshaw- #447 Peter Harris & Firm Roots featuring H...