Friday, April 26, 2024

4/25/24

Tin Men- Live From The Jazz Fest Blues Tent, 2024
(A brilliant, hilarious and manic set, as usual.)

Todd Rundgren- Second Wind
(Not one of my faves, but a friend texted me this morning, said he was listening and really digging a lot of it, so I decided to do the same. And I did, actually. More than enough solid tracks.)





 

Neil Young & Crazy Horse- Fu##in' Up
(Only...ONLY because I love "Ragged Glory"did I even bother. I gave it four songs. Pointless. Ragged live versions of already ragged studio tracks. Meh.)

Leyla McCalla- Sun Without The Heat
(Def a keeper.)

John Boutte- Live From The Jazz Fest WWOZ Jazz Tent, 2024
(
Typically fun set from John, with covers of Ron Sexsmith's "God Loves Everyone" and Allen Toussaint's "Brickyard Blues" and his usual crowd faves. Wish I was there.)

Pet Shop Boys- Nonetheless
(Every PSB album is guaranteed to have at least three or four pop gems, but this one is different. Only one pass so far, but it was a really good pass. Weak start, but things picked up with Track Three and did not let up. Looking forward to another spin. Best record in a while.)

Paul Weller- Studio 150
(Paul knows how to do a cover! Lotsa good ones.)

 

Junior Murvin- Police & Thieves
(I realize that this is a reggae classic...but I don't like it. I've tried numerous times. It's Murvin's falsetto. It doesn't work for 40 minutes. One song, like the title cut, and it's fine. But, a whole record gives me the twitch.)




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Absolutely right about Junior Murvin. Just keep the title cut.
- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

Thought I'd give that NY & CH album a try after seeing your note here. Surely it can't be that bad, I thought. I couldn't even make it through the first song. I had to cleanse my ears with some of Way Down in the Rust Bucket, which is a much better live Horse album.

I did enjoy watching the first song from his San Diego show. A great way to start the proceedings.

Bill

5/5/24

Laufey- Bewitched The Toms- S/T Gene Clark with The Gosdin Brothers- (Kevin Gray Stereo Cut) Lou Reed- Legendary Hearts The Lemon Twigs- Bro...