Sunday, March 31, 2024

3/30/24

Creation Rebel- Rebel Vibrations
(The second of three long out of print reggae classics reissued last week. This one is Creation Rebel's dub record. Not bad, but nothing Augustus Pablo hasn't done better.)

v/a- Jamaica- Rhythm & Blues: 1956-1961 (D1)
(Really fun collection, like hearing Wynonie Harris & Louis Jordan songs covered by Jamaican ska bands. Great stuff.)


The Kinks- God's Children E.P.
(Excellent RSD piece with four tracks from "Percy.")


 

The Beatles- Abbey Road (2019 Stereo Remix)
(Someone on social media referred to this as "their worst record." Had to play it. Wanted to make sure I disagreed. Someone else, a Beyonce fan defending her cover of "Blackbird," also referred to the Beatles as "an elevated boy band.")

Elvis Costello- My Aim Is True (Kevin Gray Master)
(Absolute definitive version of this record.)

The Who- A Quick One (True Stereo, Abbey Road HSM)
(With just a little tweaking, this could have landed in The Who's Top 5.)



Guitar Gable w/ King Karl- Cool, Calm, Collected
(Groovin' in the Louisiana swamps with this one. Big influence on my man C.C. Adcock. Actually got to see C.C. & King Karl perform in New Orleans.)


 

 

Pete Townshend- Empty Glass (Abbey Road HSM)
(Got into a discussion about this with a friend, so of course, I needed to play it. Amazing record, but I give "Chinese Eyes" the edge.)

Todd Rundgren's Utopia- S/T (Side One)
(Another discussion, this time with one of my old Todd/Utopia buddies, who doesn't love this album. I love Side One. I don't mind Side Two, I just never play it. It's a 35 minute commitment.)



Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers- S/T
(Been thinking about this one since my "Firsts" post, and C In California's comments.)

Deep Purple- Stormbringer
(This record is where the band turned the corner. I love the Coverdale/Hughes records. "Burn" edges this one out because it is still reminiscent of classic Purple, but there are some killer tracks here. I just read somewhere...social media, Mojo, who can remember?..."Sabbath and Zep were harder, but Deep Purple had the groove." "Stormbringer" is full of grooves. And it's all because of Ian Paice, who could do it all!)



Elton John- Caribou
(Another one of those records that didn't stand a chance. This followed "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road," which might as well have been Elton's first, because that is when he truly exploded. So, in some ways, "Caribou" could be the "sophomore slump." 50 years later, it delivers, and has one of my all time fave EJ tracks. See below...the four of you who are reading.)

)



2 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

The worst Beatles album? Of the official releases, no contest: the original soundtrack for Yellow Submarine, with side two devoted to George Martin's orchestral score for the film, which my 13 year old self was NOT interested in. My first Beatles album but I knew something was wrong and went back for more.

cmealha said...

I've Seen the Saucers may be his greatest song.

4/29/24

Dadawah- Peace & Love Brian Eno- Before & After Science St. Vincent- All Born Screaming Pet Shop Boys- Nonetheless Alice Cooper- Wel...