Monday, April 1, 2024

3/31/24

Shelby Lynne- The Servant
(Big thanks to long time friend of Burning Wood JAYESSEMM for the heads-up on this. I had no idea it existed. A fantastic, low-key and very soulful gospel record released in 2021. Perfect for a Sunday morning.)


 

 

Shelby Lynne- The Healing: A-Tone Recordings
(Like "The Servant" above, this record from 2020 was also digital only and completely off my radar. This seems to be a collection of songs, as opposed to a traditional album, recorded for a publishing company for placement in films, or that's what I have gathered from discussions on the Hoffman forum. Great stuff, very similar to "I Am Shelby Lynne.")

 

 

Susanna Hoffs- Bright Lights
(The Nick Drake, Syd Barrett and Chris Bell covers are exquisite!)


 

 

Steely Dan- Pretzel Logic

The Termites- Do The Rock Steady
(This record makes me really happy and I wish more people would feel the same.)




The Black Crowes- Happiness Bastards
(Gave this a rest for a week or so. Still sounding great!)

Juliana Hatfield- Sings ELO
(This record knocks me out. I am NOT a fan of Hatfield or the Blake Babies, but I just love how she sings these tunes! You can feel the love in her phrasing, and the sparse arrangements really work.)


 

 

Paul McCartney & Wings- Red Rose Speedway
(Trying again. I love half. The other half is a problem...for now.)

The Ventures- Play the Country Classics
(There were about 20 Ventures records in that collection I bought last week. Just need the other 486 and I'll the band's entire output. This one is fun, by the way.)



Lowell George & the Factory- Lightning-Rod Man
(First time I heard this was long after I became a Little Feat fan. It blew my mind. Listen to it, especially if you are NOT a Little Feat fan.)



Queen- Greatest Hits In Japan (As Selected By Japanese Fans)
(Finally got a hold of this. The Japanese have the same taste as I do! Great selection of hits and album cuts, though there is no reason to include "Radio Ga Ga" over countless others.)

Queen- The Game
(Our pal Wardo has a fun review of this record over at his place. Pretty damn accurate. Go read it.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

One From The Heart gets regular spins here - it's perfect. Same goes for Madcap Laughs.

That Lowell George is a surprise. Didn't know he did 60's pop!

The Termites are fun!

I played Alison Moorer and Shelby Lynne's Not Dark Yet last night (excellent, except for "Lithium"). The two from Shelby you mention sound intriguing.

I thought vocals were outlawed on fusion records. Maybe this happened after the Mahavishnu album.

- Paul in DK


4/29/24

Dadawah- Peace & Love Brian Eno- Before & After Science St. Vincent- All Born Screaming Pet Shop Boys- Nonetheless Alice Cooper- Wel...