Friday, September 18, 2026

9/17/2026

v/a- Tim Burgess & Bob Stanley Present- Tim Peaks: Songs For A Late Night Diner (2019) **1/2

Neil Young & The Chrome Hearts- Second Song (2026) *1/2

Nicole Atkins- Drama (2026) ****


Dion - Lovers Who Wander (1962) ***1/2

David Bowie- The Shel Talmy Recordings: 1965 (2026) ***

Daryl Johns- S/T (2024) ***

Nick Lowe- Party Of One (1990) ****

Nicole Atkins- Drama (2026) ****

The Kinks- Are The Village Green Preservation Society: Kevin Gray Stereo Master (1968/2018) ****

The Rolling Stones- Some Girls (1978) ****

Grand Funk- Shinin' On (1974) ***1/2




• "Second Song" is a good title, because that's when I had enough. I mean, JEEZ! Is he kidding with this?  I don't care if the next four songs are as good as "Harvest," the first two gave me the twitch. 

• I've had a problem with Nicole Atkins for years. I want to like her. Many of my friends do. But I've seen her live twice and she got under my skin both times. And I can't always deal with her style of singing, which often sounds like she is trying to belt out "The Sound Of Music" whether the song calls for it or not. Thankfully, she only resorts to that a few times on this new record and it's very effective when used sparingly. I really loved this first spin, I just hope it's not because it followed that Neil crap. 

• cmealha sent me a text with a link to a song by Daryl Johns and the note, "Do you know this guy? Reminds me of Utopia." Well, I listened to the whole record and it sure does remind me of Rundgren and Utopia...in spots. It's a little too lo-fi for my taste, making it sound more like early Lemon Twigs. Then, I found out he was the Twigs touring bassist for a while. Overall, a worthwhile spin, at least the first half.

• Okay, second time around and the Nicole Atkins held up strong. "Curtain Call" is a stunner!

• I've been wanting to revisit the Grand Funk record since watching the Billy Corgan/Todd Rundgren interview. Billy loved the record. It sounded better than I remembered.

 

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Neil’s 50th record. There’s maybe 6 good ones.

Michael Giltz said...

I've lost track of Nicole Atkins over the years. Looking forward to checking this out.

Michael Giltz said...

Clickbait, anonymous! Neil has poor quality control but he has 10 really good albums in the 1970s alone.

cmealha said...

Re: Nicole Atkinson
I concur

Dr Wu said...

Drama is definitely becoming a love affair. Earlier I purchased vinyl from you of her 2014 Slow Phaser album, which I also love. Thank you for sharing.
“Girl You Look Amazing” ::
https://youtu.be/LsZvo0ZtfUw?is=9qJZRIM9hlJvhwJO
And Neil is involved in arguably as many as 10 albums from the seventies that are considered some of the greatest albums of all-time (at a minimum six). *****. Stone cold classics. But, unless BW raves, I ignore the recent output. No wonder Geffen was pissed. Lol

Cleveland Jeff said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dr Wu said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

9/18/2026

Queen- II, Side Black: 2026 Mix (1974/2026) **** v/a- Ska Ba Dip: The Essential King Edwards (1989) ***1/2 Echo & The Bunnymen- Apples F...