David Torkanowsky- Steppin' Out (1988) ****
John Coltrane- Giant Steps: MONO (1960) ****
Bob Dylan- Love And Theft (2001) ****
Nick Lowe- Jesus Of Cool (1978) ***1/2
The Replacements- Don't Tell A Soul: Matt Wallace Mix (1989/2019) ****
Fountains Of Wayne- Welcome Interstate Managers (2003) ****
Blondie- Eat To The Beat (1979) ***1/2
Dwight Twilley Band- Sincerely (1976) ***1/2
Be-Bop Deluxe- Futurama: 2024 Remix (1975/2024) ****
Pokey LaFarge- Rent Money (2026) **1/2
Aerosmith- Rocks (1976) ****
Dead Boys- Young, Loud And Snotty (1977) ****
X- Wild Gift (1981) ****
• "Tork" changed my life 25 years ago, when I saw him manipulate a piano at the Funky Butt in New Orleans the way Jimi manhandled his guitar at Woodstock. I’ve been a fan and a friend ever since. His one solo record "Steppin' Out" is worth your time. Trust me, if only for "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most"
• "Eat To The Beat" is my favorite Blondie album and it still needs an edit.
• After a killer opening track, the new Pokey went downhill fast. Lazy songwriting and basically the same arrangement for every song. Very disappointing.
• Feeling a 40 Essential Punk Albums list coming on, though I may need to do two lists- Punk V. "Punk." Ain't no way Aerosmith's "Rocks" is being left off an essential "punk" list. "Rats In The Cellar" is the "prototype of hardcore punk," said my late, great pal Alan Landess, who fronted NYC punk semi-legends Hammerbrain.
• Just found out Cheetah Chrome passed. I'm stunned.
9 comments:
I usually skip Sound-A-Sleep and Victor when playing “Eat To The Beat”, and once in a while Living In The Real World.
Re Pokey: I had a similar experience with the new Buddy Miller where the lead track was outstanding and the rest got worse and worse. They weren’t all the same, just not to his usual standard. Also a case of the old guy brings a bunch of friends in as guests or duets, but the songs aren’t interesting regardless.
I very much liked the new one from The Tubs, Hard Life. The vocals still remind me of Richard Thompson, but the music doesn’t.
- Paul in DK
https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/blondie-eat-to-the-beat-edit/pl.u-4Jom3N2Fb1M8q
I was looking forward to the Buddy. Now, not so much.
That's exactly my edit, though I did add "Call Me" at the end.
Your mileage may vary with Buddy. It might have just not fit with my mood at the time.
- Paul in DK
Nice. I’ve always associated “Call Me” with 1980’s Autoamerican but, it seems the single was released the same time as EttB’s “Atomic” (it also appears Debbie Harry was the only band member involved).
I’ve chosen to add it my edit of Autoamerican as it needs the help. Lol.
https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/blondie-autoamerican-edit/pl.u-55D63VqSG2YvA
Thanks for this :)
Give the Buddy Miller a spin. I listened to it yesterday and I liked it quite a bit. Paul in DK is usually a reliable ear, but nobody's always right (I know it's not right or wrong, but I was too lazy to find a better word).
Made your suggested correction re: “Call Me”, sir (IYKYK). Added a pair of tracks from 1981’s KooKoo for an improved Autoamerican edit (IMHO). Thanks again for a bit of Blondie yesterday. Really enjoyed Steppin’ Out as well. Hope you have a wonderful week. :)
I gave Buddy Miller a 2nd listen and it was alright. Tracks 1, 3, 5, 7, and 10 are all upbeat and enjoyable. I’m still on the fence about track 9, and the rest, mostly weepy acoustic tunes, are not giving me much joy.
- Paul in DK
Post a Comment