Saturday, August 29, 2026

8/28/2026

Burning Spear- Marcus Garvey (1975) ****

v/a- Good News: Bunny Lee & Friends (2013) ***1/2

Tom Waits - Bone Machine (1992) ****

Badfinger- Magic Christian Music (1970) **1/2

Alabama Shakes- I Must Be Dreaming (2026) **1/2


Mastodon- Marrow Deep (2026) ***1/2

The Linda Lindas- Gotta Get Out (2026) **1/2

Todd Rundgren- A Cappella (1985) ****

Elton John - Captain Fantastic & The Brown Dirt Cowboy: Sal's Version (1975/2025) ****

Grace Jones- Living My Life (1982) ****


 

 

• Bunny Lee & Friends is a really solid reggae collection from Doctor Bird. Worth seeking out. I'm also going to check out a companion dub disc called "Dub Will Change Your Mind" featuring The Agrovators. 

• I never got the Alabama Shakes, but I liked Brittany Howard's solo stuff enough to try again. I still don't get the Alabama Shakes. This new record goes nowhere. 

• For "Capt. Fantastic," I removed "Meal Ticket" and replaced it with "Philadelphia Freedom." That is all.

 

6 comments:

Dr Wu said...

Curious if the “Philadelphia Freedom” replacement is an improvement - and would’ve resulted in the first 5-star Elton John album in the BW Album Guide? Lol. (the most 4 1/2 star albums by an artist without a 5-star?) I liked it.
I feel less guilty about editing Abbey Road now, so thanks for that :)
Those Compass Point sessions are phenomenal. Hope you enjoy your weekend. Thanks for all you do, sir

Sal Nunziato said...

Honestly, no. Not an improvement. I'm not a fan of "Meal Ticket," or when Elton tries to "rock" in general. As much as I love "Philadelphia Freedom," it felt out of place.

Dr Wu said...

Agree on “Meal Ticket”, though I enjoy my classic Elton rockin’. Because of the autobiographical nature, I’d probably leave it alone. That “Philadelphia Freedom” was apparently the last recording by the classic lineup is crazy. Would Rock of the Westies having only a single ballad enter into its relatively low grade?

Sal Nunziato said...

"Westies" has some good stuff on it, just not enough. I'm not stuck on ballads. "Feed Me" is a great song, but I don't consider it a ballad. It's not a rocker either.

Songs like these do nothing for me.

"Midnight Creeper"
"Have Mercy On The Criminal"
"Your Sister Can't Twist"
"Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting" (I know, I know)
"Billy Bones & The White Bird"

Yet I love "The Bitch Is Back."

Dr Wu said...

Lol. As well you should.
Agree with the first two (for me, maybe the weakest tracks on Don’t Shoot. I’d add “Daniel”).

cmealha said...

I don't object to the Captain Fantastic change.Meal Ticket is a bit weak, not totally terrible and Philadelphia Freedom is a great track.

Felt the same way about Alabama Shakes. I wanted to like it based on Nittany Howard's solo stuff but there were a few songs songs that I liked, especially "Another Life", but the rest just did nothing for me.

8/29/2026

Bob Marley & The Wailers- Natty Dread (1974) **** Elton John- Madman Across The Water (1971) **** David Bowie- Hunky Dory (1971) **** St...