Iggy Pop- Blah Blah Blah (1986) ****
Bonerama- So Much Love (2026) ****
Adrian Belew- Mr. Music Head (1989) ***1/2
Lunachicks- Pretty Ugly (1997) ***
The Meters- Fire On The Bayou (1975) ****
Pearl Jam- Backspacer (2009) ****
Pink Floyd- Piper At The Gates Of Dawn : MONO (1967) ****
Jet- S/T (1975) ****
The Knack- Get The Knack (1979) ***1/2
Elvis Costello- Extreme Honey: The Very Best Of The Warner Years (1997) ****
Judas Priest- Screaming For Vengeance (1982) ***1/2
• It's been years since I listened to "Blah Blah Blah," an Iggy/Bowie record that I always thought was good, but not great. Man, did it sound great after the long lay off.
• Watched the Lunachicks documentary "Pretty Ugly" and enjoyed it. I really hadn't listened to much of their music. Decent punk rock. The two records I've heard so far have been uneven, but the tracks that are good are really good.
• Jet's 1975 debut is the great lost Sparks record, and actually better than a few Sparks records from the 70's. Andy Ellison, Davy O'List, Martin Gordon! This is the Traveling Wilburys of 70's glam and no one cared. Actually, I had never heard it until a few years ago. Now it's a fave!
• I played "My Sharona" 10 times a day for the entire summer of 1979 and then I just couldn't listen to it for years. But that guitar solo is one for the ages. There may be better solos, by better guitarists, but it's hard to find a guitar solo as exciting as Berton Averre's solo in "My Sharona."
3 comments:
Blah Blah Blah May not be Iggy’s best, but it has plenty of good to great songs. It is much more melodic than many of his recordings.
- Paul in DK
Get The Knack is still one of my top 5 albums after all these years. it blasts out of the speakers as soon as it starts and doesn't let up. For a 1979 release, it still sounds timeless.
I was on Team “Knuke the Knack” from almost the very beginning. So much overexposure. At the time, I never hit play and I still heard that song 10 times a day at least. It was the Nr. 1 song for almost the entire summer and was everywhere (Thank god Highway to Hell was released shortly after). I’ve only recently started to listen to the album. You’re right about the guitar work. Excellent. And it is a great power pop record. :)
Unsolicited Trivia: The Knacks’ drummer, Bruce Gary, played in a band with Jack Bruce, Mick Taylor, and Carla Bley - Live at Manchester Free Trade Hall ‘75. AllMusic gives it 4 stars. Available streaming.
Backspacer rocks! Most consistent. Joyful and fun. Something about Obama. Lol. Lean. Punk energy. Always makes me want to listen to more Pearl Jam. Yesterday it was No Code.
Thanks for your suggestions. :)
Post a Comment