Saturday, March 9, 2024

3/8/24

KillerStar- S/T
(Interesting debut that features 7 ex-Bowie band members. Decent enough rock/new wave, with enough  nods to Bowie's catalogue---"Absolute Beginners" backing vocals, "Aladdin Sane" piano, "Ashes To Ashes" keys, "Blackstar" sax parts- to keep the songs more interesting than they really are. Worth a second spin.)

Paul Weller- Sonik Kicks
(This record really rubbed me the wrong way when it was first released. A few years and different ears, and I now love it.)

David Bowie- Black Tie White Noise
(This gets better and better. Loved it from Day One, but loving it more now. Possibly his most underrated.)

Brian Eno- Here Come The Warm Jets
(First song, Side Two, "On Some Faraway Beach," was heard in the trailer for the upcoming Steve Martin documentary and that was enough for me to pull out the album.)

Mance Lipscomb- Trouble In Mind
(Had to, after writing about it.)

Joey Ramone- Don't Worry About Me
(As good as the best Ramones records.)

The Dukes Of Stratosphear- 25 O'Clock
(My bud Tim Vega brought this record over one summer night in 1985, we got high and cranked it. I said, "Singer sounds like Andy Partridge." Tim said, "It is, you putz!" Mind blown! Thanks Tim.)

Whitesnake- Greatest Hits Remixed • Revisited • Remastered
(The remixes are solid. They take nothing away from the songs you know...and you know more than you think. This is a great collection. I love it every time I play it. Get the hairspray and Tawny Kitaen videos out of your mind and dig the record making and musicianship. P.S., saw them in 1987 with Great White and White Lion! No, really.)



No comments:

5/7/24

Traffic- When The Eagle Flies Steve Winwood- S/T (I had a dream about buying both of those records and being really excited, as if I had fou...