Sunday, March 10, 2024

3/9/24

The Agrovators Meets The Revolutioners At Channel One Studios
(An original copy of this was given to me by a friend a couple of years ago. I hadn't heard it prior and it has since become an essential reggae record for me. Great kickoff to a long weekend of listening.)

Prince Ras Murray- Miltant Dread (four songs)
(First time spin--average DJ album. Not killing me.)

John Martyn- Solid Air
(One of his best. Been awhile.)

Robyn Hitchcock- S/T
(Great record, but I like the follow-up "Shufflemania!" even more.)

Mott The Hoople- Brain Capers
(I was writing a bit about Mott and of course, I needed a soundtrack. I love this record, but the Bowie transformation that followed is a miracle.)

Jim Ford- Harlan County
(Sly Stone, Bobby Womack, Nick Lowe & Elvis Costello all loved this guy. Some good songs across various compilations, but the country boy soul on this album wears thin pretty quickly. The cover of "Spoonful," though, is genius.)

Judas Priest- Invincible Shield
(My fave heavy metal band. I consider "British Steel" to be the heavy metal GOAT. Their last record "Firepower," almost 40 years later, was a favorite of 2018 and falls into my Priest Top 5. I didn't expect yet another record from these guys 50 years on, so my expectations were low, and maybe that's why I loved this on first listen. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! This kicked ass! It's J.P. doing what they do best.)

Grace Jones- Warm Leatherette
(The first of the brilliant trilogy. Always a great spin.)

Iggy Pop- Suck On This
(Hall Of Fame bootleg with a performance to match. This puts the officially released "T.V. Eye" to shame. I think this is the definitive representation of the 1977 tour with Bowie on bk. vocals and keys.)

Snooks Eaglin- Teasin' You
(His later records were never as good as his live performances, but this one comes close. His Imperial sides are the shit, by the way.)





No comments:

5/8/24

World Party- Dumbing Up (Probably the weakest of Wallinger's five WP albums, but it does include five of his best songs. Just that the o...