Monday, February 12, 2024

2/11/24

Sister Carol- Liberation For Africa
(This one will set you back two or three bills. A great vibe throughout, though some of you may prefer her performances in Jonathan Demme's movies over her music.)

V/A- Fire Down Below: Scorchers From Studio One
(Not bad comp of laid back covers and originals. Major appropriation on this set? "Ol' Man River," which Jackie Mittoo calls "Mission Impossible.")

Brittany Howard- What Now
(Bought the vinyl, which sounds great! I'm digging this record.)

Bettye Swann- Make Me Yours
(Most know the hit, "Make Me Yours," but this whole record is a southern soul classic.)

Peter Gabriel- S/T, 1977 (Abbey Road 45RPM, HSM)
(This pressing blows away all others, though I still think the record loses steam on Side Two.)

Todd Rundgren- Runt (Alternate April 1970 Master)
(Been raving about this since it was discovered. Thought it was time to give it an Ortofon spin.)

Sonic Youth- Evol (three and a half songs)
(What a load of crap. I never liked this band, but it's been years since I tried listening. With Thurston and Kim both in the news, I decided to try again. Nope!)

The Finn Brothers- Finn
(Ah, now we're talking.)

The Beatles- Let It Be E.P.
(I love this little E.P.. Good mixes, good songs. Quick and easy.)

The Who- By Numbers (Abbey Road HSM)
(This new half speed master is pretty good, and definitely better than the half-speed of "Who's Next" that came out recently, but I am not overwhelmed by the mastering. This is one helluva record, in any event. So underappreciated.)

Little Feat- Sailin' Shoes
(Because my day is always better when I get to hear "Willin'".)

 






No comments:

5/7/24

Traffic- When The Eagle Flies Steve Winwood- S/T (I had a dream about buying both of those records and being really excited, as if I had fou...