Tuesday, February 13, 2024

2/12/24

Larry Young- Unity
(Never tire of this one. What a quartet.)

Ahmed Abdul-Malik- East Meets West
(I picked this up for a few reasons. One is, you never see it. It's hard to come by. Two, I knew I'd sell it immediately. Three, I don't recall ever hearing it. Abdul-Malik did some time with Monk's band, but on this record of originals, he goes back to his Sudanese descent, and along with some jazz heavies like Lee Morgan and Johnny Griffin, creates a terrific hybrid of traditional and hard bop music. A $75-100 record, and of course I still haven't sold my mint reissue for a measley $20. Where are all the record buyers???)

Izzy Stradlin & The Ju Ju Hounds- S/T
(My favorite Guns N Roses album, and really one of the best rock and roll records ever recorded.)

45s
Rush- New World Man
Abba- S.O.S.
The Ronettes- Walking In The Rain
The Chantels- Look In My Eyes
Talk Talk- It's My Life
Andrew Gold- Lonely Boy
Stevie Nicks & Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers- Stop Draggin' My Heart Around

Badfinger- No Dice
("We're For The Dark!")

Iggy Pop- New Values
(Needed to replace my copy after selling it some time back, and that's how I found out there was a Kevin Gray master! Best this record has ever sounded. How the hell does he (Kevin Gray) do it?)

Cheap Trick- In Color (Kevin Gray remaster)
(Might be Kevin Gray's finest hour.)

Dr. John- In The Right Place (2023 AP 45 RPM RM)
(It's Lundi Gras! And for the 3 people who are reading this who care about shit like vinyl and pressings and mastering, this is one of the best sounding records I have ever heard.)






3 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

Love the singles mix and lots of great snowy day music I think. Unless it was anticipating snowy day music, which also works.

Anonymous said...

I don't like a lot of Steve Albini's work, but I really like his mix of In Color.

- Paul in DK

Sal Nunziato said...

Albini's mix isn't really a mix. It's a rerecord, no? The band went back in the studio and recorded the whole album over again. It definitely has a harder edge. But this Kevin Gray remaster makes the original album sound like it was supposed to. Big and full and alive. I highly recommend it.

5/7/24

Traffic- When The Eagle Flies Steve Winwood- S/T (I had a dream about buying both of those records and being really excited, as if I had fou...