Sunday, August 23, 2026

8/22/2026

John Mayall & The Bluesbreakers- A Hard Road (1967) ****

Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac- Greatest Hits (1971) ****

Moacir Santos- Coisas (1965) ***1/2

Carlos Santana & John McLaughlin- Love Devotion Surrender (1973) ****


Lindsey Buckingham- Law & Order (1981) ***

Utopia- Cleveland Agora, 8/23/78 (1978) ***1/2

Steely Dan- Aja (1977) ****

The Wailers- Burnin' (1973) ****

Love - Forever Changes: Stereo (1967) ***1/2
 

• Maybe an unpopular opinion but I think "A Hard Road" with Peter Green is a better record than the "Bluesbreakers" with Eric Clapton. 

• It's been a while since I listened to "Love Devotion Surrender." It continues to blow my face off.

 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love Devotion Surrender is a stunner. You might also enjoy the live set they did at Montreux. https://www.discogs.com/release/7468708-Santana-McLaughlin-Invitation-To-Illumination-Live-At-Montreux-2011

- Paul in DK

Sal Nunziato said...

I've "Extrapolation" and "The Promise" queued up today, the latter of which I don't think I've ever heard. Amazing lineup of players.

Anonymous said...

I have a digital copy of The Promise though I don’t recall listening to it. Extrapolation is one I haven’t heard. I prefer McLaughlin‘s less frenetic work to the note onslaught. The one time I saw him was in acoustic mode with De Meola and de Lucia where they did solo, duo, and trio pieces. The trios were all about speed and trying to upstage each other. The solo and duo songs were much more musical to me.

- Paul in DK

Bill said...

Aja has been creeping up the list over the years to become my favorite Steely Dan album. But I must admit that I blow hot and cold on the title song. I recently made an edited version of the album that deleted the title track but added two other songs from the same period. Didn’t sound too bad.

It’s here if anyone is interested: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/3tmEEZChgP4216uwlwbCIS?si=CtdfwBD1S-OeYHhxeoO2sQ&utm_source=copy-link&pi=3q69xc8jQfa2s

Sal Nunziato said...

As a drummer, I never get tired of Steve Gadd's playing on the title track.

10/1/2026

Syd Barrett- The Madcap Laughs (1970) **** The Beatles- Rubber Soul: Sessions & Demos (1965/2026) **** Scott Walker- Scott 3 (1969) ***1...