Mavis Staples- Sad And Beautiful World (2025) ****
Michael Kiwanuka- Home Again (2012) ***1/2
Charlie Hunter- Space Bomb (2026) ****
McGough & McGear- S/T (1968) **
Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers- Long After Dark (1982) ****
The Who- My Generation: Japanese True Stereo (1965/2023) ****
The Beatles- With The Beatles: MONO RM (1963/2009) ****
Led Zeppelin- I (1968) ****
The Meters- S/T: Kevin Gray Master (1969/2023)- ****
Jon Cleary- So Swell (2020) ****
The Dukes Of Stratosphear- 25 O'Clock (1985) ****
Big Star- Radio City (1974) ****
• This new Charlie Hunter record dropped out of nowhere, at least in my world. It's a quartet improvising over 15 tracks which could be a recipe for disaster. But not on "Space Bomb." Rather than extend each idea longer than it needs to be, we get 15 two, three and four minute tracks that give you just the right amount of time to get groovy without overstaying the welcome. Good stuff.
• Just added my 40 essential New Orleans records to the Popsurfing site. Jon Cleary made the list. Twice.
18 comments:
Nice 40 from NO list. To me its missing some Walter Wolfman (Wolf at the Door or My Future is My Past), Johnny Adams (Room With a View or Waling on a Tightrope), and I'd add Live At the Old Point to your Nightcrawlers album. So, I guess closer to 45?!?
I had 50, but needed to keep it uniform with the Reggae Top 40.
Thanks for the heads up on Charlie Hunter. That’s his third album since January after The R&B Organ Trio and a collaboration with singer Lo Steele. First track sounds great. Will continue with it.
Best thing I listened to yesterday was Grey & Greene by Grey DeLisle and Les Greene. It’s a 32 minute set of rock & roll produced by James Intveld. Try it here: https://continentalrecordservices.bandcamp.com/album/grey-and-greene
- Paul in DK
Thanks for the entertainment this weekend. Long After Dark proved totally underrated. Guitar forward riffs, heartbreak and harmonies. Any update on the fate of Zeppelin’s debut in a comparison with Truth? :)
Slight modification: went with Jon Cleary & AMG debut to initiate palette refresh. So good. Segued nicely into Space Bomb. Both are albums you’ve introduced me to. Thank you.
Appreciate the NOLA album list. Will use as a summer soundtrack. Hope you have a wonderful week :)
Thanks for the tip on Grey & Les.
LZ VS. Truth--love them both. Could do without "Your Time Is Gonna Come" and "You Shook Me" on the former and "Ol' Man River" and "Morning Dew" on the latter. Both classics, even with those four speed bumps.
Gotta give back when I can.
- Paul in DK
Nice Nola list. Even at only 40, Neville Brothers' Neville-ization should be there. Best record they ever made, and the only great one, recorded live at Tip's.
Really enjoyed Grey & Greene. Thank you for the share.
Nice NOLA list, Sal. I agree with the comments about additional albums to add, particularly the Nevilles. And I'd add a zydeco album or two, maybe Buckwheat or Boozoo. Fun stuff to think about, yes?
My New Orleans list isn't about representation, hence the omission of zydeco, electric blues, gospel and lord knows how much more.
The Nevilles are a treasure. I love them dearly, all of them from Aaron to Ian. Live, they were unbeatable, legendary closers of Jazz Fest. But there isn't one record, either as group or solo, that I think is a 4 star record. Art and Aaron's singles are great.
I don't listen to Tab Benoit, Little Freddie King, etc. with the same enthusiasm as I do the 40 records on my list. As for gospel, I probably spend more time in the gospel tent than anywhere else at Jazz Fest. Is there one record from any of those choirs that plays well at home?
As for zydeco, I love Boozoo, Clifton Chenier, Buckwheat, but again, my list wasn't made to highlight genres. If I played a zydeco track for a more than casual lover of New Orleans music, I'd bet they wouldn't know who it was. Even Barry from Louisiana Music Factory once said, "How much shanka shanka can you listen to in one sitting?"
These 40 records could all stand alone as great records. That they are all from New Orleans and the surrounding areas is just a bonus.
I welcome anyone to post their Top 40. I'd love to see those lists.
I respect your opinion and I know that I couldn't put together a Nola list that would ever be close to definitive. But really Neville-ization is four stars in my book (the original nine-song version).
I'm glad you love it! I'll listen again.
Not that it should make a difference or change anyone's opinion, but the All Music review of "Neville-Ization" pretty much says what I feel.
I may be biased. I saw them at Tipitina's in the eighties and it is one of my fondest musical memories.
That'll do it, and it's kinda what I am saying about the Nevilles and gospel music.
"These 40 records could all stand alone as great records. That they are all from New Orleans and the surrounding areas is just a bonus."
Bingo. I took this same philosophy as I compiled my list. My wife and I listen to most of our music, including NOLA records, in our kitchen while we're cooking, eating, drinking, etc. We listen to these in their entirety and consider them to be great albums. In rough alphabetical order...
Allen Toussaint- American Tunes
Allen Toussaint- Life, Love, and Faith
Beausoleil- Cajun Conja
Bluerunners- S/T
Bonerama- So Much Love
Boozoo Chavis - S/T
CJ Chenier- Too Much Fun
Clarence Gatemouth Brown- Back to Bogalusa
Deacon John's Jump Blues
Dirty Dozen Brass Band- Medicated Magic
Dr. John- Going Back to New Orleans
Fats Domino- Live at Jazzfest
Galactic and Irma Thomas- Audience with the Queen
Iguanas- Nuevo Boogaloo
Iguanas- Plastic Silver Nine Volt Heart
Irma Thomas- Love is the Foundation
Irma Thomas- Simply Grand
Irma Thomas- True Believer
Ivan Neville- Touch My Soul
John Boutte- Jambalaya (comp)
Jon Cleary & AMG - S/T
Jon Cleary- So Swell
Marc Broussard- Carencro
Marcia, Irma, Tracy - Sing It
Neville Brothers- Neville-ization
Neville Brothers- Yellow Moon
Professor Longhair- Crawfish Fiesta
Rebirth Brass Band- Feel Like Funkin It Up
Sonny Landreth- Outward Bound
Sonny Landreth- South of I-10
Stanton Moore- With You in Mind
Subdudes- Annunciation
Subdudes- S/T
Terrance Simien- Dockside Sessions
The Meters- Fire on the Bayou
Wallace Johnson- Whatever's Thrilling You
Walter Wolfman Washington- Funk Is In The House
Wayne Toups- Fish Out of Water
Zachary Richard- Snake Bite Love
Zachary Richard - Women in the Room
Great list!
DDBB- Medicated Magic
Marcia, Irma, Tracy- Sing It
Fess- Crawfish Fiesta
Were in my original 50.
Post a Comment