Thursday, May 9, 2024

5/8/24

World Party- Dumbing Up
(Probably the weakest of Wallinger's five WP albums, but it does include five of his best songs. Just that the others really don't cut it.)

V/A- Licensed To SKA: Studio One 007
Grace Jones- Nightclubbing

Mdou Moctar-Funeral For Justice (four songs)

(This one is a nerve shredder.)

Patti Smith- Personal Playlist
Glenn Tilbrook & The Fluffers- Pandemonium Ensues
Badfinger- Personal Playlist

Irma Thomas- Love Is the Foundation

(A gorgeous, late career masterpiece and she has two more new ones coming this year.)

Joe Jackson- Look Sharp
(A perfect debut! Seriously, this record does not get enough recognition. No bad songs, not even the throwaway "Instant Mash" which is too good to be a novelty. Five stars!)

 


3 comments:

Bill said...

I'm with you on Look Sharp. I'm the Man is a close second for me. Joe had the perfect band to make those records, too. Not sure they had all the talent that the Attractions did, but they made a pretty good noise. A musician buddy of mine said that the key to those albums is the bass--Graham Maby holds everything together. That opened my eyes.

Bill

Michael Giltz said...

I'm diving through World Party's Arkeology right now. Dumbing Up has SUCH an ugly cover I couldn't bring myself to buy it back in the day and hence didn't hear it for years.

Anonymous said...

Funeral For Justice is over-the-top, relentless. I much prefer Bombino who uses more dynamics and subtlety, and also is fantastic live.

Look Sharp! is a perfect album.

- Paul in DK

5/18/24

St. Vincent- All Born Screaming Joe Higgs- Life Of Contradiction (An amazing record. Truly beautiful, and one that I always think would appe...