Thursday, April 11, 2024

4/10/24

O.V. Wright- A Nickel & A Nail-and-Ace Of Spades
(Killer record. This should be as popular as "Otis Blue" or Al Green's "Call Me.")

 

Jackie Mittoo- The Keyboard King At Studio One
(Another from the Mojo "Top Ten At Studio One" list. I love this compilation, but it seems odd to include a recently released collection on an all time list. Maybe it is that good!)



Nine Inch Nails- Hesitation Marks

(Trent Reznor made mention of a new NIN record coming. Finally. Made me pull out the last proper release. I like three others more than this, but this has a number of really great tracks.)



10cc- Ten Out Of 10
(Another 10cc record that I have no recollection of hearing. This one got a great review by All Music. Meh. I thought "Windows In The Jungle" was much better.)

Lou Reed- Growing Up In Public
(Whenever I mention Lou Reed, either back in the days of NYCD or on social media now, my friend always needs to say. "Growing Up In Public is Lou's best." I laugh and that's that. I decided to finally play it forty years later. I remembered none of it and somehow thought it was a stinker. It's not. It's also NOT his best, but it is a solid record. 

My new favorite Lou Reed lyric:
"They both love Chinese food, he hates to dress
He loves to play pinball, she wants to play next
She likes her novels long, he's into comic books
They're gilt-edged polymorphous urban but somehow it works.")


 

 

Lou Reed- Mistrial (six songs)
(Sticking with forgotten Lou records for a bit. This did not fare as well. Both "Video Violence" and "Spit It Out" really got on my nerves.)

Small Faces- S/T (Immediate)
(What a difference in style and attack from the debut to this. Only one year apart. Love them both.)




 

Charlie Rich- That's Rich
(I first heard this in 2021. WFMU played "Turn Around & Face Me" and it knocked me out. It wasn't an easy record to find at an affordable price, but I tracked one down and it's become a fave. If you only have one "Silver Fox"album it should be this one.)

 


The Pursuit Of Happiness- Love Junk
(Top Ten power pop record of all time. Unique! Thanks Todd! This always sounds fresh!)



The Mighty Hannibal- Hannibalism
(Another unsung hero of soul music that I would have never known about if it wasn't for my Cool Jerk bandmates. We covered "The Right To Love You." And then I met the man himself in New Orleans! Look at his hands. I asked if I could take a picture and he said, "Yeah, let me get my money.")





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Nickel & A Nail-and-Ace Of Spades is all killer.

"The Right To Love You" is superb. Thanks for the tip! The Mighty Hannibal is new to me.

Mistrial is more a trial than a joy to listen to. A big disappointment after the excellent Legendary Hearts and New Sensations.

I've never been drawn to NIN. I gave the posted video a go, and gave up after about 3:10. Didn't seem to go anywhere.

- Paul in DK

Sal Nunziato said...

Paul,
If I had to suggest one NIN record, it would not be "Hesitation Marks." If you ever feel like trying again, listen to "With Teeth," which I think is his masterpiece. If that doesn't take, nothing will.

Anonymous said...

It's funny, the last time I listened to Mistrial, I kind of enjoyed it. It had been so long that I had forgotten most of the songs. The Original Wrapper made me smile. Not sure I'm going to listen to it again for awhile, but...

And now you're prompting me to put on Growing Up In Public, which, like you, I haven't listened to since the Carter administration.

Bill

4/29/24

Dadawah- Peace & Love Brian Eno- Before & After Science St. Vincent- All Born Screaming Pet Shop Boys- Nonetheless Alice Cooper- Wel...