Friday, April 12, 2024

4/11/24

Daryl Hall/John Oates- Northampton, PA: 2/4/75
(Early radio broadcast from the "War Babies" tour. A very rock and roll set, with two unreleased tracks from the aborted 4th album which eventually became the "Silver Album." Solid performance and great to hear almost all of the "War Babies" record live. Below is my fave track from that album, which is one they did not play.)


 

Curtis Mayfield- Superfly (Kevin Gray Master)
(Kevin Gray's cut on this is stunning. One of the best sounding records I have ever heard.)



Dr. John- Locked Down
(I guess listening to this was inevitable, with the Auerbach discussion continuing over on Burning Wood.)



The Hawtsies- Nine Lives
(Debut from New Orleans -by way of Youngstown, NYC & Austin- quartet. Really enjoyed this. Definite slinky vibe throughout, reminiscent of Brinsley Schwarz, both Elvises, Southern Culture On The Skids, Iguanas, Roy Orbison. Out in May! Looking forward to it.)

 

 

The Collins Kids- Introducing Larry & Lorrie
(First time I heard this was 1983. Bob from Rocks In Your Head, a record store on Prince Street insisted I buy it. 30 years later, I got to see Larry & Lorrie at the Ponderosa Stomp in New Orleans. This record always puts me in a good mood. Rockabilly at its finest.)


 

Kiss- Unmasked
(This was in a small collection I picked up yesterday, which is a little odd since the last collection I purchased had every Kiss record up to this. Anyway, still like about half of this record, though it is where I finally got off the bus 44 years ago. The song below is typically stupid Ace, but man, there are enough hooks to snag a flounder.)


 


Utopia- Swing To The Right
(I always play this record on April 11th because that date and this record go hand in hand. I dragged myself to the Palladium on 4/11/81 with a fever of 103 to catch Utopia on this tour. I sat in the first row of the loge, head back, eyes closed, hallucinating, nauseous, sweating and freezing all at the same time, looking up every now and then to catch a glimpse of the band. Good times! Happy Anniversary.)

 

 

The Beatles- A Hard Day's Night (U.K. MONO)
(There was an article in today's New York Post, digging deep into the lives of The Beatles, with such tidbits as "known as The Fab Four, The Beatles went on to become one of the most popular bands in music history." You heard it here last, folks!)



Yes- 90125
(As a long time fanatic of the first seven Yes records, I didn't want to like this new-fangled, MTV-ready release. But it's pretty damn good. I also only just found out that most of the material on this, the band's biggest selling record(!), stemmed from Trevor Rabin's demos. Good for Trevor.)



1 comment:

Michael Giltz said...

Ha! Now that is Rundgren devotion, though I'm glad I wasn't sitting next to you and wondering why Typhoid Mary was coming to a concert. Plus, the KISS continuum is spooky!

4/29/24

Dadawah- Peace & Love Brian Eno- Before & After Science St. Vincent- All Born Screaming Pet Shop Boys- Nonetheless Alice Cooper- Wel...