Sunday, February 25, 2024

2/24/24

African Head Charge- A Trip To Bolgatanga
(Still loving this. Also, a great opener for a long listening day.)

Stanton Moore- III
(His best solo album, and a record that will be part of my upcoming "15 Essential New Orleans Records" list.)

Bobby Bland- Two Steps From The Blues
(I hadn't heard a note of this record until Elvis Costello wrote about it in 2000. When I did listen, I realized I knew about half of it from other artist's cover versions. Now, it's an all-timer.)

Diana Ross & The Supremes- Number Ones (Side One)
(Great sounding record, and a few of the versions used are extended. Not in a remixed way, just longer than when the original singles fade out. Very cool.)

Judas Priest- Point Of Entry
(A major disappointment after "British Steel," the greatest metal record of all time. But time has been kind. This sounded great today.)

Phil Lynott- Solo In Soho
(A great solo debut! "Dear Miss Lonely Hearts" has some of Phil's finest lyrics. And Mark Nauseef's drumming on "Talk In '79" is to die for.)

Rush- Grace Under Pressure
(I'm up to this record in Geddy's book. I really didn't like all of the synth-heavy, post "Moving Pictures" records at the time, but I am minding them less now. )

Fear- The Record
("New York's Alright If You Like Saxophones.")

Juliana Hatfield- Sings ELO
(I just love how she sings these tunes!)

The Rolling Stones- Let It Bleed (U.K. MONO)
(Stereo might be better. Both have "Midnight Rambler," unfortunately.)

Deep Purple- Burn
(As good as any of the classic DP records. "Might Just Take Your Life!" "Burn!" "You Fool No One!")

Lou Reed- Coney Island Baby
(Always thought the best of this record and the best of "Sally Can't Dance" would have made a Lou Reed record for the ages. But I really enjoyed all of this today.)

Lou Reed- S/T
(One of my Top 3 Lou records, though I know not many care for this debut, for one reason or another. It's got 2/5 of Yes on it!)






2 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

Ooooh, 15 Essential New Orleans Records! Looking forward to that. Not 25?

I still think the CD hits set Compact Command Performances for Diana Ross and the Supremes (and Temptations and Smokey and Four Tops et al) are the best compilations for those acts, but it may just be nostalgia. That's how I heard them first.

Michael Giltz said...

The Stanton Moore doesn't seem to be on Amazon or Apple!

5/8/24

World Party- Dumbing Up (Probably the weakest of Wallinger's five WP albums, but it does include five of his best songs. Just that the o...