Monday, January 29, 2024

1/28/24

Roy Harper- HQ
(Back to being my favorite!)

Roy Ayers Ubiquity- Red, Black & Green
(Becoming a favorite Sunday morning record.)

Lee Dorsey- The New Lee Dorsey
(One of the best records ever by a 9th Ward car mechanic.)

Irma Thomas- Sings
(I see a pattern.)

Sound Dimension- Jamaica Soul Shake Volume 1
(Like The Traveling Wilburys of Jamaica. Great 2 LP set that could have fit on a single LP.)

The 13th Floor Elevators- S/T
("Easter Everywhere" is more consistent, but this has "You're Gonna Miss Me" and "Fire Engine.")

Rachel Sweet- ...And Then He Kissed Me
(First time. Really great! Phil Spector meets E Street Band. Not what I expected after her debut. Also didn't know she did "Shadows In The Night" before Pat Benatar. And it's BETTER!)

Ellen Foley- Nightout
(I see a pattern)

Split Enz- True Colours
("I Got You" is 45 years old. WTF? This also brought me right back to Pier 84, NYC, 1982: Duran Duran with Split Enz opening. $12!)

Brian Eno- Here Come The Warm Jets
(And now, back to our regularly scheduled Eno binge.)

Derek & The Dominoes- In Concert (Sides One & Two)
(Thanks Troy, for paying attention and sending this to me. I could listen to Jim Gordon's intro to "Why Does Love Got To Be So Sad" all night. Really, Jim Gordon's playing on all of it is incredible.)





3 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

WTF? Are you spying on me? I've had 13th Floor Elevators on my phone for ages and just listened to it yesterday for the first time. Loved it, though I've no idea what instrument was making a certain psychelic woo-woo-ish sound on a number of tracks. I'll check out Easter Everywhere next!

Sal Nunziato said...

I actually played "Easter Everywhere" last week, so maybe you saw that and had them in the back of your mind.
That instrument is a jug, played by the preeminent crock jug player Tommy Hall.

Michael Giltz said...

Thx re the jug! Was driving me nuts.

I think I saw some random best psychedelic albums and I've had it on my Apple Music albums list for months and months waiting for the right moment. And then I imagine your Easter Everywhere play put it over the top!

5/7/24

Traffic- When The Eagle Flies Steve Winwood- S/T (I had a dream about buying both of those records and being really excited, as if I had fou...