Tuesday, January 30, 2024

1/29/24

The Four Tops- Greatest Hits
(Just a random pull off the shelf. Someone might have mentioned them, so it was in my head.)

John Cale & Terry Riley- The Church Of Anthrax
(I usually dig this record. Today it left me cold.)

Duke Ellington • Charlie Mingus • Max Roach- Money Jungle
(One of my ten favorite jazz records.)

Talk Talk- The Colour Of Spring
(A gorgeous record. I've seen "Spirit Of Eden" referred to as their masterpiece. I think this one is the masterpiece, in no small part to the amazing drumming throughout by Lee Harris.)

Prince- The Hits 1
(I'm usually appalled by single edits on greatest hits LPs. But most of these work for me.)

Lou Reed- New Sensations
(This one aged really well. Like it more now than I did then.)




4 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

I've come to enjoy Spirit Of Eden but The Colour Of Spring is indeed Talk Talk's masterpiece. Joyous and stirring.

And I've jumped on your Brian Eno bandwagon to fill in some gaps, starting with Discreet Music. Great stuff.

Michael Giltz said...

Discreet Music is marvelous!

Anonymous said...

New Sensations is my favorite of Lou's solo albums; solid songs and a great band. Saw the tour for that, too, with the wonderful Swimming Pool Q's opening.

I'll try again with Talk Talk. Past listens to their music haven't connected with me. Can't recall what I listened to, though, so it might as well be The Colour Of Spring.

- Paul in DK

Anonymous said...

I echo Paul in DK's sentiments about New Sensations. I saw the same tour and it was great with Robert Quine back on guitar. Not sure why Lou didn't have him on the album. He was probably salty about something.

Bill

5/7/24

Traffic- When The Eagle Flies Steve Winwood- S/T (I had a dream about buying both of those records and being really excited, as if I had fou...