Fela Ransome Kuti & Africa 70- Alagbon Close (1974) ***
Jimmy Witherspoon featuring Ben Webster- Roots (1961) ***1/2
Ray Barretto- Barretto-Power (1970) ****
The Millennium- Begin (1968) ****
Emerson, Lake & Palmer- Works: Sides 2 & 3 (1977) ***
Utopia- Ra (1977) ***1/2
Fleetwood Mac- Rumours: Sal Edit (1977/2026) ****
Damned- Damned Damned Damned (1977) ****
Cheap Trick- Heaven Tonight (1978) ****
Juliana Hatfield- Sings Olivia Newton-John & ELO: Personal Playlist (2024) ****
• The "Rumours" Edit:
Second Hand News
Dreams
Never Going Back Again
Go Your Own Way
Songbird
The Chain
You Make Loving Fun
I Don't Want To Know
Silver Springs (Original Studio Version)
• I don't have a lot of readers here, and I imagine the few who do check in aren't really vinyl buyers. But there is a new reissue of the Damned debut and it's great. If it is something you wanted but didn't want to spend $60-$100, this new pressing is worth the $30. (here it is)
5 comments:
Thanks for the S.O.T.D., sir. I’m also a big fan of 2007’s Dwight Sings Buck.
I'm not familiar with Jimmy Witherspoon, though I do have a few things by Ben. I listened to some songs from Roots - really enjoyed them. Do his other records have a similar laid back groove?
Randy
The only other Jimmy Witherspoon I own is the New Orleans record with Wilbur de Paris, which I love, though it is much different than "Roots."
https://www.discogs.com/master/349133-Wilbur-De-Paris-Jimmy-Witherspoon-Wilbur-De-Paris-Plays-Jimmy-Witherspoon-Sings-New-Orleans-Blues
I'm fine w cutting the last two tracks and adding of course (!) "Silver Springs" but I think I'd keep "Don't Stop" and move it towards the end, maybe after "The Chain". I'm not sick of it, though I can understand others. But the boring final two tracks (relatively speaking) are why I've always preferred the album before "Fleetwood Mac," which I think is better.
Just wanted to say I read this and I'm into vinyl.
Post a Comment