Thursday, August 29, 2024

8/28/24

Jontavious Willis- West Georgia Blues
(Surprisingly good acoustic blues record but nothing I will play a second time.)

Steve Howe- Beginnings

Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds- Wild God
(I fell hard for the first song. But by track 5, it was starting to all sound the same. The big, sweeping arrangements with the choir, don't change much. Every song feels like the big finale to a non-existent show. I know where Cave is coming from, in the wake of personal tragedy. I just don't know if it works as a record.)

The Weeklings- Raspberry Park
The Ethiopians- Let's Ska & Rock Steady
Cheap Trick- Epic Archive: '75-'92 (Personal Playlist)






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I keep hoping Nick Cave will put away his grief over his dead son from an artistic standpoint and try something different. It's okay not to use guitars, but some variety in the new music would be much appreciated. I love Warren Ellis's work in Dirty Three, but I'm not convinced he's as clever a composer as Mick Harvey.

- Paul in DK

Sal Nunziato said...

I listened to "Dig Lazarus Dig" recently just to remind myself of how good Cave could be. But the last few have been way too demanding and frankly, unpleasant.

Anonymous said...

I play most of Nick's work fairly often, especially after see him live several times, where he and the band are so good, though not for the squeamish. Nearly all of the albums up through Push The Sky Away are better than good. After that, it's become sometimes beautiful and sometimes dull, mostly due to a limited palate of musical colors.

- Paul in DK

9/16/24

Michael Chapman- Fully Qualified Survivor v/a- Goldband Blues (Personal Playlist) Creole And Chinafrica- Journey From Creation 1975-1985 Gan...