Tuesday, July 9, 2024

7/8/24

Sonny Bradshaw 7- Reggae Version/Version Reggae

Peter Gabriel- Us
(I'm calling it. It's his best.)

The Hollies- Butterfly (MONO)

The Who- Tommy (Sal's Edit
)
(I never play this record. Only three other Who records I like less. But this edit made a world of difference. I really enjoyed it.)

XTC- The Big Express

(New interview in Shindig with Andy, Colin and Dave about this album. Definitely an underrated record.)

Graham Gouldman- I Have Notes
Martin Newell- The Greatest Living Englishman

Charlie Rich- That's Rich
(I can't get enough of this record. If you only own one Charlie Rich record, make it this one.)

4 comments:

Bill said...

Sal, what is your secret recipe for Tommy?

Sal Nunziato said...

THE WHO- TOMMY
(Single LP Edit)

Overture
It's A Boy
1921
Amazing Journey
Sparks
The Hawker
Christmas
The Acid Queen
Pinball Wizard
Tommy Can Your Hear Me?
Sensation
I'm Free
We're Not Gonna Take It/Listening To You

Bill said...

Oh, I can buy that. Takes out some of the character stuff but leaves the best songs. Funnily enough, I listened to Tommy (the full thing) last week after having not played it in a long time. Like you, I'm not a big fan. It sounded OK, but the album is caught between two better Who phases--the early years of discovery, invention, and imagination, and the Who's Next/Quadrophenia world-conquering rock god years. It sounds a little weak.

Sal Nunziato said...

"The album is caught between two better Who phases--the early years of discovery, invention, and imagination, and the Who's Next/Quadrophenia world-conquering rock god years. It sounds a little weak."

You nailed it!
For many, The Who began with "Tommy." All the fans of the "rock god years" have no use for the "early years of discovery," aside from "My Generation."

9/5/24

Rockpile- Seconds Of Pleasure The Remains- S/T (Kevin Gray MONO Master) The Beach Boys- Wild Honey The Beach Boys- 20/20 The Guess Who- The ...