Friday, May 24, 2024

5/23/24

La Luz- New Of The Universe
(Press release made this sound great. Mission accomplished, I guess. It's fucking horrible. Four songs in and the lead singer still hasn't sung one note in key.)

Messer Chups- Dark Side Of Paradise (five songs)
(Surf music by the book. Meh. Maybe they're better live.)

Talking Heads- Live At WCOZ 77 (about half)
(I knew I wasn't going to like this before I even put it on. I prefer "Fear Of Music" and "Remain In Light." Wow, I am 0-3 to start the day.)

Paul Weller- 66
(We've got a winner! What a lovely album. Only one pass but I already like it more than "Fat Pop.")

Otis Redding- Pain In My Heart (MONO)
(Going to be in and out of the Stax catalogue for a few days. Watching the excellent HBO doc has really put me in the mood.)

Pretenders- Viva El Amor

(Definitely underrated, and the rare occasion when the cover "Human" is better than the Divinyls original.)

Ruby Johnson- S/T
(Ruby Johnson has recorded 47 songs, many written by Isaac Hayes & David Porter and recorded for the Stax label, but only one vinyl compilation exists, a 2022 12 tracker on the Velvet Ramp (?) label and it's a killa! All meat and no filla!)

Otis Redding- Sings Soul Ballads (MONO)
(Really no bad Otis records, but a few of the songs here are better by others.)

The Wild Tchoupitoulas- S/T
(Never fails! A guaranteed 40 minutes of happy.)

Angelique Kidjo- Remain In Light
(My favorite Talking Heads record covered to perfection.)






1 comment:

Michael Giltz said...

What's the HBO doc? Stax? Redding?

6/16/24

Roy Ayers- Everybody Loves The Sunshine Peter Gabriel- So Eurythmics- Savage Bob & Marcia- Pied Piper v/a- Let's Do Rock Steady: The...