Wednesday, March 27, 2024

3/26/24

Lenny Kravitz- It Is Time For A Love Revolution
(A recent Mojo mag article called this record one of his greatest. It's exactly like every other Lenny album. Two great tracks and ten other decent tracks that sound just like all the other tracks on all the other Lenny records.)

Bryan Ferry- In Your Mind
(Ferry's first solo album of all original material remains his best. This record sounds like the Roxy Music album that would have followed "Siren," had they remained active.)

The Merry-Go-Round- The Best Of
(They only have one album, but the single only tracks and rarities included, make this an exceptional overview.)

Jules Shear- Watch Dog
(I sold a copy of "She's So Unusual" and saw Jules' name. Been a long time since I played this one. Jules, Todd Rundgren and the definitive version of "All Through The Night.")

Asia- S/T
(That collection I bought on Friday is jogging the memory. My girlfriend broke up with me (for the first time) by telling me to listen to "Only Time Will Tell." This record was a major disappointment at the time. I wanted more from this lineup. But they wanted hits and they got'em. I don't mind it so much now. "One Step Closer" is a pretty damn good song.)

Bryan Ferry- Bete Noire
(Looks like I am stuck in the 80's. "Limbo" is def a Top 10 Ferry solo track. Love that drum pattern, even if it may be a machine.)

 


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I went on a little Bryan Ferry tear last week too, prompted by his version of "Walk a Mile in My Shoes" popping into my head while on the treadmill: Another Time, Another Place (not as good as These Foolish Things, but can still get the toes a-tapping), In My Mind (this one grows on me every time I listen to it), Frantic (one of my favorites), and Siren (my 100% favorite Roxy/Ferry album).

A lot of his albums post Avalon sound kind of samey (the way latter-day Steely Dan/Donald Fagen albums do), but I remain a big fan.

Bill

Sal Nunziato said...

Bill,
I am right there with you on "Siren!"

And with your assessment of later Ferry, though like you, I genuinely love "Frantic" and also "Olympia."

I know people love "Avalon," but I always say, "It's a bad Roxy album, but a solid Ferry solo album."

Anonymous said...

I'm a big Avalon fan, but get what you're saying. The only time I saw Roxy Music* was the tour for that album (or was it the High Road EP), so it holds a special place in my heart.

Bill

*I did have tickets to see them at the Garden in 2022 but got a bad case of gout in the big toe on my left foot that left me struggling to walk for about a week, so I had to bail. See you later $400!

Stupid toe.

Sal Nunziato said...

Okay how's this for strange?
I was on the subway heading into the city to meet friends for drinks and dinner and then Roxy Music with St. Vincent at The Garden, 2022, and when I got to Lexington Ave, I got intense pains in my stomach, crossed the platform and headed right back home, where I began a 24 hour stomach flu. My ticket was $139.

Anonymous said...

Whoa! That was the show. Driving in from Jersey and had to turn around before we hit the tunnel. 2 tickets down the tubes...

Was so looking forward to seeing Phil Manzanera live.

Bill

4/29/24

Dadawah- Peace & Love Brian Eno- Before & After Science St. Vincent- All Born Screaming Pet Shop Boys- Nonetheless Alice Cooper- Wel...