Wednesday, February 21, 2024

2/20/24

Nashville Pussy- Say Something Nice
(Good morning!)

Sly & The Family Stone- Dance To The Music (2023, VMP RM)
(I bought this along with the new RM of "Stand," as a two-fer from Vinyl Me, Please. I know I've heard it before, but after listening again, I realized why I'd forgotten it. The records before and after it are all better. This, though a proper album, sounds more like leftovers and outtakes. Not terrible, but not great either. Definitely a transition record.)

Kraftwerk- Autobahn
(Perfect. Needed this.)

Roxy Music- Siren (Original U.K.)
(My favorite Roxy along with "For Your Pleasure." Also, one of the best drum sounds on any record. Also, this pressing blows away the fairly recent half-speed master, which sucks all the life out of it.)

The Replacements- Boink!!
(Never released in the U.S.. It's a compilation with only 8 songs, two not featured on any other album. It runs only 24 minutes and yet it is the 'Mats record I play the most.)

ZZ Top- Goin' 50 (Record One)
(I've been wanting a copy of ZZ's first single for a long time, but it's never less than $100. Buying the five LP box, which includes both the A and B side of said single, not to mention anything else you could want, was cheaper.)

Medicine- On The Bed
(My friend John hipped me to this record, not as a positive recommendation, but as a "someone recommended this to me and I don't get it" type thing. I don't get it either. Noisy, uninspired covers of Beatles and Beatles' solo tracks. Why?)

Jimi Hendrix Experience- Are You Experienced?
(Palate cleanser. See above.)



 



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dance To The Music is just as you said, nothing special. You're better off listening to Leon's Creation - This Is The Beginning (1970) discogs which, while definitely lifting the Family Stone sound, is much more fun, especially "Sightless". It's recently had a digital release, so it can be streamed, too.

Roxy Music's Siren is fabulous, along with For Your Pleasure, Stranded, and most of Country Life (a couple of clunkers on side 2). Bryan's singing on their debut wasn't very good (too much vibrato), so that one is not essential.

Will have to track down Boink!!

- Paul in DK

5/8/24

World Party- Dumbing Up (Probably the weakest of Wallinger's five WP albums, but it does include five of his best songs. Just that the o...