Wednesday, January 24, 2024

1/23/24

Television- Marquee Moon (2023 Kevin Gray Master)
(Probably the cleanest and warmest it's ever sounded, for better or worse.)

The Beatles- Please Please Me (UK MONO)
(Testing out my new Ortofon cartridge on a bunch of classics today. Loving it!)

Simon & Garfunkel- Bookends (Kevin Gray Stereo master)
(Wow!)

Todd Rundgren- Runt (Alternate April 1970 Master)
(Still the musical find of the century...for a Todd fan.)

Living Colour- Shade
(So good. Their best since their debut.)

Suicide- S/T
(The original Bruce's "Nebraska.")

Prince- Originals
(Smart release. Great stuff.)

 



3 comments:

Michael Giltz said...

Is there any digital equivalent to Kevin Gray's mastering? Does he ever oversee CDs or digital or just vinyl? One feels cheated not having a turntable and set-up. Can I find the alternate Runt online? The original is go great already. (Forgive me if you spoke about this before -- see my comment to the Roy post! :)

And Bookends is their first great album, to me. Slightly collegiate and earnest but near perfect anyway. Were you just digging the clarity of his mastering or was it some further revelation?

Sal Nunziato said...

Yes, Kevin Gray has done many CDs and SACDs, thought I think the revelations are due to how amazing the KG vinyl sounds versus other vinyl copies. I don't know if that will come across digitally. It may, I just haven't tried the comparison.

"Bookends" is an all-timer for me, and I was digging the Kevin Gray cut, not some further revelation about the album.

And here is why the Alternate Runt mix is the musical find of the century:
https://burnwoodtonite.blogspot.com/2023/09/a-holy-grail-todd-rundgrens-lost-mix-of.html

Michael Giltz said...

Oh, I remember now! The Runt alternate on vinyl only. Arghhh. Bookends is their first great album...but I still love Greatest Hits more. It's the greatest Greatest Hits album ever! Bookends tied with Bridge, for me.

5/7/24

Traffic- When The Eagle Flies Steve Winwood- S/T (I had a dream about buying both of those records and being really excited, as if I had fou...